Sunday, March 2, 2008

Jeff Healey Passes Away


I am very saddened to hear that Jeff Healey, the famed guitarist from Canada, died today of cancer. Jeff was an incredible guitarist who played a unique way, with the guitar on his lap, and with all five fingers on the fretboard.


I was fortunate to see Jeff play at the Guthire Theater in Minneapolis in 1989. I was fairly close, and could observe his style. He was on fire that night, and it remains one of the best concerts I have ever been to. He was very inspiring to watch and his guitar skills were formidable.
When I played in a blues-rock band years ago, one of my favorite songs to play was his "See the Light." I could never in a million years play it the way he did, but I sure tried to do my best on it.

RIP, Jeff.

Here are a few links of interest:

Canadian Bands

Official Website

Canadian Press

No comments: