Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Appreciation of Buck Dharma


I have been giving old Blue Oyster Cult records a listen lately, particularly On Your Knees, On Your Feet. I have long since sold off most of my BOC records, with this one the only one remaining. So I went over to YouTube and found that people have posted the songs there. It was great to hear the songs of my teenage years again after so long, and it brought back my admiration of Buck Dharma (Donald Roeser). He was a huge influence on me back then and I wanted a white Gibson SG like his. I also wanted a Stratocaster like Hendrix, and a Les Paul like Duane Allman, none of which I ever got as a teen!


His playing on Bucks Boogie, Last Days of May, Don't Fear the Reaper, Vampire Voodoo. I Love the Night and many others was very distinctive. You knew who it was when you heard the first few notes, a feat that is difficult since so many guitarists sound alike (to me, anyway). It is great to see that BOC is still around and Buck is as good as ever.


Here is his website, and Blue Oyster Cult website. I have to reinvest in this old music. I have found that I have been going back to the 1970's to find "new" music that I never appreciated back then.

1 comment:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

This brought back some memories for me too!!