Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sonny Landreth Concert Review

WOW! That is the best description I can think of this early in the morning. On the 15th of November, we saw Sonny Landreth at the Cabooze Bar, a small bar in Minneapolis. The Cabooze is one of the best places to see a band up close, as we sat at the end of the bar, about 15 feet from the stage. We were able to watch Sonny and his incredible slide guitar technique close up. The crowd was great, too, and were going crazy from the first song, Port of Calling. The crowd was mostly baby boomer age, with as many women as men.

He played many of the songs from the Grant Street Live Cd, and a few new ones from his new release, From the Reach.

"√úberesso" was one of the most amazing guitar songs I ever heard. To see him play in close up was great as well.

He played two Stratocasters, each in different tunings. The Strats were probably reissues of a 1957 and a 1962. The rosewood necked Strat looked like it had an ash body. His amp was the 75 watt Demeter that he mentions on his website. The Dumble amp was not there. Dumble amps are the so called "holy grail" of guitar amps. I do not know about that, though. Sonny would probably make my little Peavey Classic 30 sound great.

I would see Sonny play again in a heartbeat. He played up here twice this year. I can't imagine him coming back in 2009, as he has been on the road almost the whole year. But if he does, I will be first in line.

I have been trying to learn how to play in his style. Sonny plays notes behind the fret where the slide is. Very difficult for most of us, but he is able to play many chords even with the guitar in open tuning. I have set up a Strat with .13-.56 strings - piano wire to me! I raised the action higher than normal, added a bit of echo and am nowhere near getting this down! It is fun to try, though. After seeing Derek Trucks at the same bar, close up, I was able to improve my slide playing, just be watching what he did. Maybe I can do the same here...although I doubt it will sound anywhere near as good as Sonny! I will be annoying my family with it for months now!

No comments: