Friday, December 26, 2008

Anneli Drecker of Bel Canto

I really enjoy all types of music. I started my musical journey on Beatles, then to Allman Brothers and southern rock. Later, as I "aged", I got into electronic music and so-called new aged "space music", like Steven Roach, or Micheal Stearns. Heavy metal has always been a favorite, too.

I am also a fan of female vocalists like Anneli Drecker.

I got into the music of Bel Canto back in the early 1990's, when the song "Shoulder to the Wheel" was being played on the radio. Bel Canto is a group of three - Anneli Drecker, Nils Johansen, and Geir Jenssen from Tromso, Norway.

Birds of Passage is the first disc I have. Their music is very electronic, and moody. Some of the songs on this disc are a bit gloomy, but the vocals of Anneli are out of this world. I still enjoy this disc even after all these years.

I have been reading up on Anneli these last few days, as I have lost track of the band. She has been a solo artist for a number of years now, and has enjoyed great success around the world. I really like her song, "You Don't Have to Change", which has a modern techno feel to it, along with her incredible vocals. She is very well known in Europe, but sadly, not as popular here in the USA. She does not tour often, as she has three kids and would imagine that a tour here would be out of the question. I wish she was more popular here. Now I have to get some her latest songs and rediscover her fantastic singing.

Look her up on YouTube. There are quite a few videos of her available.

No comments: