Friday, December 5, 2008

Rory Gallagher - 1978

I have always been a fan of Rory Gallagher, going back to 1978 when a friend loaned me the album, Against the Grain. Rory exemplified all-out guitar rock. He played his one Stratocaster throughout his career, which in today hyped-up world of electric guitars, almost seems impossible. He found his one guitar and stuck with it! That battered guitar gave the world some of the best Stratocaster-fueled music ever. This YouTube video, from 1978, shows Rory in all his power at a German concert.


I just loved the fact that this is the only Stratocaster he ever used. Today, most famous guitarists use multiple guitars, boutique amps and tons of pedals. Rory used his guitar and a vintage Fender amp turned up all the way. These were the days before an old, beat up used Stratocaster cost as much as a new one, before they were locked up in vaults, or treated like a fragile old violin. Some guitarists today spend big bucks on fake brand-new beat-up guitars, hand made amps and pedals, just to get a sound like this. I bet that Rory would have sounded great on a cheap strat copy, too! Do you think that sometimes, the tone you get comes from your hands and soul and not as much on gear?

Rory is sadly missed. He left the world a vast amount of music that I hope the young guitarists of the world listen to.

1 comment:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Rory was one of the greats and an often overlooked talent. I get a lot of hits on my blogs from people searching for him, I'd be interested if that happens with you as well....