Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Levon Helm Coming to St. Paul; Neko Case and Robin Trower

Spring is here, and once again, I do not have much to write about. When it finally gets nice up here in Minnesota, one does not want to spend too much time on the computer.

I was reading the paper last Friday, while in the break room at work, and chanced upon an ad for the upcoming Levon Helm concert at the Fitzgerald Theater on June 10. The tickets were going on sale at noon, so after checking with my wife to make sure she wanted to go, I was logged on at noon, ready to get the best tickets available. I managed to get middle section, five rows back from the stage. Not bad at all.

My wife is a fan of the The Band, and owns just about everything they have ever put out. She is at the moment playing songs on the piano from the rare songbook she found on ebay. She has been wanting to see Levon in concert, as he rarely tours. He performs shows at his house in Woodstock in his converted barn. These are called the "Midnight Rambles", and are available on DVD.

So imagine our suprise to see that he will be here in June! It should be an excellent show. One rarely gets the chance to see a musical legend up close.

I saw Neko Case a few weeks ago and was blown away by her voice and her band! If you ever get the chance to see her, go for it. It is hard to describe her music to people who have never heard it. Goth alternative country, maybe. Regardless, her voice is heavenly, and her band one of the best I have heard.

Robin Trower is coming here on June 28. I hope to get tickets. Another change to see a legend. I have been a fan of Robin since 1974, when I first heard "Bridge of Sighs", with that fantastic opening riff.

No comments: