Saturday, May 30, 2009

Linda Ronstadt


Last night we were watching "Walk the Line", the wonderful biopic of Johnny Cash. While it was on, I was looking him up on YouTube to see his old videos. Somehow I ended up switching over to videos of Linda Ronstadt. I was all of 14 when she started to really hit it big. I grew up listening to her music, as my brother had her albums and tapes. It is easy to forget her contribution to the music world. Linda was the first woman to ever play the arena circut. She was the first major woman rock star to tour the world and have multiple hits, such as "Silver Threads and Golden Needles, Your No Good, It's So Easy, When Will I Be Loved", and many more. She has been in the music business since 1965, and had a hit in the late 60's with "Different Drum", along with her band, The Stone Ponys. Her career spans over 30 years, from rock, to jazz, big band and Broadway.

When the MTV craze hit in the 1980's, she was eclipsed by others such as Madonna. However, Linda just moved over to another style of music and continued to sell millions of records.

I was a big fan of Linda back in the day, and really enjoyed looking at the videos from those days. Hearing her sing the songs mentioned above really brought me back to my teenage years, and made me remember just how much Linda's music was a part of that.

It was amazing to read her entry on Wikipedia, and to see just how many records she sold and how many awards she has.

Thanks, Linda, for your music!

2 comments:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I used to listen to Linda a lot. And, although I feel shallow admitting this, at one point she did or said something I found totally offensive so I stopped listening. Now I can't even remember what it was :(

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

oh...I think it had something to do with the way she treated her fans???