Sunday, November 8, 2009

Squier Classic Vibe Telecasters


I love Telecasters. I know have two of them - my trusty Standard - made in Mexico - and my just completed Tele-parts caster, of which I had to do all of the routing and assembly. It was a fun project that has inspired me to try and make one from scratch later next year.


Recently, I found myself in a music store, waiting for my daughter's flute to be repaired. This store had at least one of each popular model of Telecaster - the 52 reissue at around $1,500; a "new" road worn at around $900; a Highway one at around $600; a Standard at around $350 and the new Squier Classic Vibe at around $300. Since I had time to kill, I tried all of these guitars out through a Peavey Classic 30. Which was best? The lowly Squier. Why? It played beautifully, sounded like a Tele should - lots of twang, and had virtually no flaws anywhere on the body or neck. For the price, I do not think you can find a better deal. The Classic Vibe features a PINE body, which goes way back to the early days of the Telecaster. I found there was no difference in sound from the Squier and the 52 reissue - at least to my ears. Someone else may be to differ, but that is my opinion. The Roadworn and Highway One were certainly fine guitars, but for $300 the choice is obivious to me. I want one!

I will add that the two Classic Vibe STRATOCASTERS there were also great guitars. The 62 copy in Candy Apple Red and rosewood nect was flawless.

No comments: