Monday, September 12, 2011

PRS McCarty

I do not know how many guitar players read my far and few between ramblings. But perhaps someone will appreciate this.

Yesterday,  I was able to get time on my friends PRS McCary guitar. These have been around for many years. They were designed as an attempt to recapture the Allman Brothers tone on the Fillmore East album, and as a tribute to Ted McCarty, the inventor of the humbucking pickup and designer of many of Gibsons finest guitars. I have never played this guitar for long, and this was the first time we switched guitars. He played my Strat and found it be an easy guitar to play.

PRS guitars can get a bad rap as an elitist guitar, due to its price. Yes, they are pricey, but no more than your average Gibson. This guitar was fairly light, and sounded fantastic through the Mesa Boogie Lonestar I was using. It was a joy to play a guitar that is so different than the Stratocaster and Telecaster that I normally play. For once, I had sustain and a tone that punched through, full and strong. The pickups can be tapped by pulling up on the tone knob, adding even more sounds.

In the next few years, I hope to add a guitar of this caliber to my meager collection. I would choose this over a Les Paul for the easy fret access, and the lighter weight. It does not sound like a Les Paul, of course, but I am so  used to double cutaway guitars that a single cutaway is difficult for me to use.  The McCarty is still an expensive guitar even at used prices, between $1500-1800, about what you would expect to pay for a Les Paul Standard, a Hamer Monaco or a Heritage.

PRS offers the Starla and Mira at lower prices that the McCarty. I will have to check those out, as well.

PRS offers the affordable SE line of guitars made in Korea. I have played these at the store many times. These guitars are finely made, but I would always be wanting the real deal!

No comments: