Monday, October 24, 2016

A beautiful fall day in the woods

Today was one of the most calm and beautiful fall days I have seen.  It was a perfect day for a walk in the woods.

I have been doing many walks in the woods with my camera the last month. I lost my job of over 14 years a month ago, and in those times when I need to get away from my computer, I take my Nikon and head out into nearby parks and woods. I am lucky to live near so many great places to go, including right behind our house.  

As I walk through the woods today, surrounded by the colorful leaves and chirping birds, I started to think about all that has happened in the last few years  My beloved cat passing, then my mom going through health problems and passing away last May, health scares to family close to me, and now my job loss.

Then I came upon this scene of the sun coming through the trees. My lens didn't work right so it is blurry, but here is the photo regardless. The camera can't capture how beautiful it was. It was a moment where I thought that I need to be thankful that my family is healthy and happy, and that I can't forget to look at all of the great things around me. While the stress of unemployment is not easy, it is not the end of the world, and I have skills that are needed. It just takes time.

I also use my walks in the woods to talk to my parents, who have both passed on.  I am not a spiritual person, but I like to think that maybe they are around me in some form. My mom loved nature, particularly butterflies, She was always picking things up and making crafts out of them. My dad liked to hunt, but I think he just liked being outside as he never really shot anything.

I know there are so many of us out there looking for the next chapter in our professional lives.  It will happen. I am looking forward to where my professional walk takes me.

 

No comments: