Friday, October 7, 2016

Frida Kahlo

I was recently watching a video about the Blue House in Mexico City, where Frida Kahlo lived her life and where she died. I knew very little about her, mostly from the movie "Frida." Her paintings did not do much for me until I read about the pain she suffered from her injuries in an accident.  Now I understand why she painted the way she did.

On September 17, 1925, Kahlo was on her way home from school when the wooden bus she was riding collided with a streetcar. Several people were killed, and Kahlo suffered nearly fatal injuries--an iron handrail impaled her through her pelvis, fracturing the bone, and she also fractured several ribs, her legs, and a collarbone.

The accident ended Kahlo's dreams of becoming a doctor, and she experienced pain and illness for the rest of her life. To occupy herself during her recovery, she began to paint with the aid of a special easel that made it possible for her to paint in bed, and a mirror that was placed above her so that she could see herself.

Kahlo once said, "I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best." 



I am somewhat fascinated with her now.  She seemed way ahead of her time.


The artwork below was what made me look into Frida.  It is from Zen Pencils, and is about accepting who you are and being proud of what makes you different. Click here to view http://zenpencils.com/comic/frida/


No comments: